Non was banished to the Phantom Zone along with General Zod and Ursa by Jor-El for their crimes in attempting to take over the planet Krypton. They survive the planet's destruction and are blown off course in the same direction as Jor-El's son, towards Earth.
The explosion of a hydrogen bomb launched into space by Superman hits the Phantom Zone holding Non and the others, destroying it and releasing himself, Zod and Ursa, who went to Earth's moon. There they kill several US astronauts and Soviet cosmonauts. Upon reaching "planet Houston", they discovered that they had the exact same powers as Superman, and naturally used them for evil, terrorizing the cities and even killing a few civilians.
He aided General Zod taking over the president's office, but the president told Zod that Superman would never kneel before him. Lex Luthor joined forces with them, offering to tell them the location of the Fortress of Solitude, but eventually they decided to kill him. Superman came to stop them from terrorizing Metropolis. Their attacks were able to affect each other, but in the end, Superman was outnumbered and lost, with Zod threatening to kill innocent people, and Superman flew back to the fortress. Luthor led Non and the others to the fortress.
Superman tricked the Kryptonian trio with multiple holograms, but when he had him in a headlock, Ursa threatened to tear Lois limb from limb unless Superman released him. Luthor seemingly joined forces with Superman, who then told him to get Zod and his gang into the molecular chamber that would take away the powers of any Kryptonian. Luthor then told Zod about this, and Zod, threatening to kill innocent people otherwise, forced Superman to enter, with Luthor activating the device.
However, Superman, knowing Luthor was going to double cross him, switched the setting of the device so that its rays would affect those outside it and not inside; therefore Superman was safe while Zod, Ursa, and Non were stripped of their powers. Zod made Superman kneel before him and told him to take his hand and swear eternal loyalty. Superman crushed Zod's hand, picked him up, and threw him into a wall. Non then attempted to fly to Superman to attack him, but without his powers, fell into the icy abyss to his death.
Powers and AbilitesEdit
Non's superhuman abilities are powered by the energy of Earth's yellow sun and are identical to Superman's.
- Super Strength: When Non is directly exposed to sunlight his strength levels are greatly increased.
- Flight: He is capable of self-propelled flight.
- Invulnerability: Non's invulnerability has also increased with his age. He is immune to human illnesses and bullets bounce off him. Non is also highly resistant to energy-based attacks.
- Super Healing: When Non is wounded, he heals quickly if not instantaneously.
- Super Speed: Non can run at speeds faster than the speed of sound. He emits an aura when using his superspeed.
- Super Stamina: Non can run for long periods of time without getting tired.
- Heat Vision: Non can also project force with his heat vision.
- Super Hearing: Non can hear indirect whispers and both sides of telephone conversations.
- Super Breath: His breath is powerful enough to freeze an entire lake.
- Super Vision: Non has the ability to see things miles away.
Non is vulnerable to Kryptonite, radioactive remnants of his home planet, Krypton. The known variations of kryptonite affect him in different ways.
- Green kryptonite renders Non physically weak and painfully ill.
In Mario Puzo's original script, Non was the comic book character Jax-Ur.